Last Updated: 21 April 2022
Before we dig deep into General Knowledge On Assam, Do you know how many states does Assam shares its border with?
Well, the answer is seven, Assam shares its border with 7 Indian states.
It is the second state in India that is connected with several states after Uttar Pradesh that shares its border with 9 states.
Assam is a state in Northeast India popularly known for its Assam Tea and Assam Silk.
In this article, we will cover Assam’s History, Geography, Demographics, Culture, Economy, Some Politics, and many more. Read all the General Knowledge Questions On Assam to learn about the interesting facts about this Indian State.
General Knowledge On Assam
1) Arunachal Pradesh
7) West Bengal
Answer: 78,438 km2
Answer: 16 (2.38 % of the National Share)
Answer: Guwahati (Area: 328 km²)
Answer: 26 January 1950
Related: 160+ Nagaland GK MCQs For 2022 NPSC Exam
Read the full list here.
Answer: Zubeen Garg, Papon, Deeplina Deka, Vreegu Kashyap, etc
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram
Answer: West Bengal
Related: Sikkim GK 2022– Latest Multiple Choice Questions
Answer: Nagaland and Manipur
Answer: Bhutan And Bangladesh
Answer: IIT Guwahati (Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati)
Answer: O Mur Apunar Desh
Answer: Southern Region of Assam
Answer: Kanchanjuri (Assam)
Answer: Himanta Biswa Sarma
Answer: Keshab Mahanta
Related: 130+ Static GK Questions And Answers On Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: Digboi (Assam)
1) Kaziranga National Park: Golaghat and Nagaon districts (Assam)
2) Manas National Park: Barpeta district (Assam)
Answer: Guwahati (Assam)
Answer: Dhola Sadiya Bridge (9.15 Km, Assam)
Related: List Of Railway Minister Of India From 1947 To 2022
Answer: Subansiri Dam (130 m)
Answer: Rang Ghar (Assam)
Answer: 6 (Six)
1) Dibrugarh Airport
2) Jorhat Airport
3) Lilabari Airport
4) Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport
5) Silchar Airport
6) Tezpur Airport
Answer: Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (Guwahati)
Answer: Former Chief Minister of Assam (1st)
1) Animal: Indian rhinoceros
2) Bird: White-winged duck
3) Flower: Foxtail orchid
4) Tree: Hollong
1) Dibru-Saikhowa National Park
2) Kaziranga National Park
3) Manas National Park
4) Nameri National Park
5) Orang National Park
6) Raimona National Park
7) Dehing Patkai National Park
List Of Districts In Assam
|# Districts within the Bodoland Territorial Region|
|21||Karbi Anglong (East)||Diphu||7,366|
|34||West Karbi Anglong||Hamren||3,035|
51. Which Religions are found in Assam?
6) Sikhism, etc
52. How many Autonomous Administrative Divisions are in Assam?
Answer: 3 (Three)
53. What are the Autonomous Administrative Divisions of Assam?
1) Bodoland Autonomous Territorial Council
2) Dima Hasao Autonomous Council
3) Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council
54. How many Statutory Autonomous Councils are in Assam?
55. What is the name of the High Court of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati High Court
56. What are the Popular Cuisines Of Assam?
1) Assam tea
6) Tambul (betel nut)- paan
7) Rice beer, etc
57. Popular Dances of Assam?
3) Bihu Dance
5) Bodo Dance, etc
58. Largest River Island in India?
Answer: Majuli (formed by the Brahmaputra River)
59. Longest River Bridge in India?
Answer: Bhupen Hazarika Setu (9.15 km)
60. Which River is known as the Sorrow of Assam?
Answer: Brahmaputra River
Portfolio Of Ministers Of Assam 2022
|1||Himanta Biswa Sarma|
3) Public Works Department
4) Any other Department not allotted to any other Minister
|2||Ranjit Kumar Dass|
|1) Panchayat & Rural Development|
2) Public Health Engineering
3) Food & Civil Supplies
4) Consumer Affairs
3) Animal Husbandry & Veterinary
4) Border Area Development
5) Implementation of the Assam Accord
|4||Urkhao Gwra Brahma|
|1) Handloom & Textile|
2) Soil Conservation
3) Welfare of Plain Tribe
4) Backward Classes (BTC)
|1) Guwahati Development|
2) Urban Development
|1) Environment & Forests|
|1) Health & Family Welfare|
2) Science & Technology
3) Information Technology
|1) Social Welfare|
|9||Chandra Mohan Patowary|
2) Industries & Commerce
3) Skill Development
4) Welfare of Minorities
2) Welfare of Plain Tribe & Backward Classes (non-BTC)
|1) Welfare of Tea Tribes|
2) Labour & Employment
|1) Water Resources|
2) Information & Public Relations
3) Parliamentary Affairs
|1) Revenue & Disaster Management|
2) Hills Area Development
3) Mines & Minerals
|1) Sports & Youth Welfare|
2) Cultural Affairs
61. First actress in Assamese Cinema?
Answer: Aideu Handique
62. Who is the first Chief Minister of Assam
Answer: Gopinath Bordoloi
63. Who Received Bharat Ratna Award from Assam in 2019?
Answer: Bhupen Hazarika (Playback Singer)
Read the full list here.
64. What is the Brahmaputra River called in China?
Answer: Yarlung Tsangpo
65. Which Indian Rivers pour into Bangladesh?
Answer: Ganga, Meghna, Brahmaputra
66. Which Indian River is known as the “Red River”?
67. What is the Brahmaputra River called in Arunachal Pradesh?
Answer: Dihang (A.K.A Siang)
68. Assam has the largest population in the world of which Animal?
Answer: Wild Water Buffalo
69. How many species of birds does Assam have?
Answer: Around 820 Species (Assam has the highest diversity of birds in India)
70. What are the languages spoken in Assam?
1) Assamese (48.38%)
2) Bengali (28.92%)
3) Hindi (6.73%)
4) Bodo (4.54%)
5) Sadri (2.29%)
6) Mishing (1.98%)
7) Nepali (1.91%)
8) Karbi (1.64%)
9) Odia (0.70%)
10) Santali (0.68%)
11) Manipuri (0.54%)
12) Garo (0.52%)
13) Others (1.17%)
71. Which is India’s first district that is a river island?
Answer: Majuli district (Assam)
72. Which two districts have 5 Sub Divisions?
Answer: Barpeta and Kamrup Metro
1) Barpeta: Barpeta, Bajali, Kalgachia, Sarukhetri, Sorbhog
2) Kamrup Metro: Guwahati, Chandrapur, Dispur, Sonapur, Azara
73. When was Assam University established?
74. When was Assam territory first separated from Bengal?
75. What is the First Day of “Rongali Bihu” called?
Answer: Goru Bihu (the Bihu of the cows)
76. What was Ancient Assam Known as?
Answer: Pragjyotisha and Kamrupa
77. In which Hilltop Kamakhya Temple is situated?
Answer: Nilachal Hill
78. In which year did the capital of Assam shift from Shillong to Dispur?
79. When was Assam Sahitya Sabha established?
Answer: December 1917
80. The First President of Assam Sahitya Sabha?
Answer: Padmanath Gohain Baruah
81. When were Assam Rifles established?
82. Where is the Headquarters of Assam Rifles?
83. What is the Motto of Assam Rifles?
Answer: Sentinels of the North East
84. When was Assam Police established?
85. When was Gauhati University founded?
Answer: 26 January 1948
86. When was Assam Accord signed?
Answer: 15 August 1985
87. How many National Parks are in Assam?
Answer: 5 (Five)
88. Total number of Bridges over the River Brahmaputra?
Answer: 6 (Six)
89. Which city does the Naranarayan Setu at Pancharatna connect to?
90. When was the First Assamese film released?
Answer: 10 March 1935
91. Name of the First Assamese film?
92. When was the First Tea Company in Assam established?
93. First Tea Company in India?
Answer: Assam Tea Company
94. When was Assam Public Service Commission founded?
Answer: 1 April 1937
95. Who discovered Tea in Assam?
Answer: Robert Bruce
96. Which is the First Tea Garden in Assam?
97. What is Assam famous for?
Answer: Assam Tea and Assam Silk
98. Who is known as the “Father of Assamese people”?
Answer: Baikunthanatha Bhagavata Bhattacharya
99. How many Types of Tea are there in Assam?
Answer: Two Kinds
100. Name the First Assamese Newspaper?
Answer: Dainik Batori
101. Name of the First Assamese Grammar Book?
102. Name the First Open University of Assam?
Answer: Krishna Kanta Handique Open University
103. Name the First Secondary School of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati Seminari
104. Which is the First University of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati University
105. Who translated Mahabharata into the Assamese Language first?
Answer: Rama Saraswati
106. Name the First Assamese Novel?
Answer: Bhanumati (1890)
107. What is the First Assamese Romantic Poem?
Answer: Bon Kunwori
108. First Assamese color film?
109. Who was the First King of Assam?
110. What is the name of the Second Assamese movie?
Answer: Indramalati (1939)
111. Which is the Smallest District in Assam by Area?
Answer: South Salmara (568 km²)
112. Which is the Biggest District in Assam?
Answer: Karbi Anglong (10,434 km²)
113. Which is the Largest Village in Assam?
114. What is the Oldest Name of Tezpur?
115. Which city is known as the City of Blood?
116. First Assamese to win a Gold Medal at an International Event?
Answer: Bhogeswar Baruah (1966 Asian Games)
117. Who was the last king of the Ahom Kingdom?
Answer: Purandar Singha
118. Which district was given to Pakistan in 1947 that was separated from Assam?
119. First Capital of the Ahom Kingdom in Assam?
120. Where does the Highest Concentration of Forest in the State of Assam occur?
Answer: Karbi Anglong district
121. Where is the One-Horned Rhino found in India?
122. Which Wildlife Sanctuary holds the highest density of the Rhino population in the world?
Answer: Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary (Assam)
123. What is the area of Kaziranga National Park?
Answer: 430 km²
124. What is the Total Number of Parliamentary Constituency in Assam?
Answer: 14 (Fourteen)
125. Which town in Assam is known as Manchester of Assam?
126. Where is Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary located?
127. When was Mizoram separated from Assam?
128. When was Nagaland separated from Assam?
129. Which Indian state is the largest producer of bamboo?
130. Biosphere Reserves of Assam?
Answer: Manas and Dibru-Saikhowa
131. State Motto of Assam?
Answer: Joi Aai Ôxom (Hail mother Assam)
132. When was Kaziranga National Park declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO?
133. First Assamese to make Etymological Dictionary of the Assamese language based on Sanskrit spellings?
Answer: Hemchandra Barua
134. First Barrister of Assam?
Answer: Anundoram Borooah
135. Which Zoo is located in Guwahati City?
Answer: Assam State Zoo cum Botanical Garden
136. In which year was Gopinath Bordoloi arrested due to active participation in the Non-Cooperation Movement?
137. Full-Form of AASU?
Answer: All Assam Students Union
138. First Medical College in Northeastern India?
Answer: Assam Medical College & Hospital (Dibrugarh)
139. Which city is known as the Cultural Capital of Assam?
140. When was Assam Agriculture University established?
141. When was Assam Gas Cracker Project approved by CCEA?
Answer: April 18, 2006
142. Who was the first IAS of Assam?
Answer: Jamchonga Nampui
143. Where is Assam Women’s University located?
144. Where is the Pani Dihing Bird’s sanctuary?
Answer: Sivasagar District
145. Which NIT is present in Assam?
Answer: National Institute Of Technology Silchar
146. During whose Reign the Amphitheater Rang Ghar was constructed?
Answer: Swargadeo Rudra Singha
147. Name the First Stadium in Assam?
Answer: Jorhat stadium
148. Who is the First Lady Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Syeda Anwara Taimur
149. Which city of Assam has the largest dry fish market in Asia?
150. When was the National Games of India held in Assam?
List Of Chief Ministers Of Assam
|Premier of Assam between 1937-1950 is not included on the list|
|No.||Chief Minister||Term In||Term Out||Party|
[Kamrup Sadar (South)]
|26 Jan 1950||06 Aug 1950||INC|
|09 Aug 1950||27 Dec 1957||INC|
|3||Bimala Prasad Chaliha|
(Badarpur + Sonari)
|28 Dec 1957||06 Nov 1970||INC|
|4||Mahendra Mohan Choudhry|
|11 Nov 1970||30 Jan 1972||INC|
|5||Sarat Chandra Singha|
|31 Jan 1972||12 Mar 1978||INC|
|12 Mar 1978||04 Sep 1979||JP|
|7||Jogendra Nath Hazarika|
|09 Sep 1979||11 Dec 1979||JP|
|~||President’s Rule||12 Dec 1979||05 Dec 1980||⟰|
|8||Syeda Anwara Taimur|
|06 Dec 1980||30 Jun 1981||INC|
|~||President’s Rule||30 Jun 1981||13 Jan 1982||INC|
|9||Kesab Chandra Gogoi|
|13 Jan 1982||19 Mar 1982||INC|
|~||President’s Rule||19 Mar 1982||27 Feb 1983||⟰|
|27 Feb 1983||23 Dec 1985||INC|
|11||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta|
|24 Dec 1985||28 Nov 1990||AGP|
|~||President’s Rule||28 Nov 1990||30 Jun 1991||⟰|
|30 Jun 1991||22 Apr 1996||INC|
|22 Apr 1996||14 May 1996||INC|
|~||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta|
|15 May 1996||17 May 2001||AGP|
|18 May 2001||24 May 2016||INC|
|24 May 2016||10 May 2021||BJP|
|15||Himanta Biswa Sarma|
|10 May 2021||Incumbent||BJP|
151. Where is the Birthplace of the Brahmaputra River?
152. Who was the First Governor of Independent Assam?
Answer: Sir Muhammad Saleh Akbar Hydari
153. Who is the First Assamese Woman Graduate?
Answer: Sudhalata Dowarah
154. What is the name of the famous festival of Assam?
Answer: Bihu Festival
155. What is the name given for the Traditional Sweet of Assam?
156. Who has been selected for the “Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar” in the category of Art and Culture 2021 from Assam?
Answer: Tanuj Samaddar
157. Which district is Manas National Park located in?
Answer: Chirang District & Baksa District
158. Which district is Tezpur located in?
Answer: Sonitpur District
159. When was Jorhat carved out of the Sivasagar District?
160. When was IIT Guwahati established?
161. Who is the longest-serving Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Tarun Gogoi
162. Who is the first chief minister of Assam from the Bharatiya Janata Party?
Answer: Sarbananda Sonowal
163. When did Himanta Sarma swear in as the Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: 10 May 2021
164. Who is the shortest-serving Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Bhumidhar Barman (22 Days)
165. Which political party does Akhil Gogoi belong to?
Answer: Gana Mukti Sangram Asom
166. Which 2 Parks of Assam were declared as National Parks on 7th June 2021?
Answer: Raimona National Park and Dehing Patkai National Park
167. What is the total number of National Parks in Assam after the addition of 2 parks on 7th June 2021?
Answer: 7 National Parks
168. Who is the newly elected Union Cabinet Minister of India from Assam?
Answer: Sarbananda Sonowal
169. Which Portfolio is given to Mr. Sarbananda Sonowal?
Answer: 1) Ministry of Ports, Shipping, &Waterways
2) Ministry of AYUSH
170. Who is the Minister of Sports & Youth Welfare of Assam?
Answer: Bimal Bora
171. When was Bodoland Territorial Region established?
Answer: 9 February 2003
172. How many districts come under the Bodoland Territorial Region?
Answer: 4 (Four)
173. Who is the CEO of Bodoland Territorial Region?
Answer: Pramod Boro
174. What is the total area of Bodoland Territorial Region?
Answer: 9,612 km2
175. How many Constituencies are under Dima Hasao Autonomous Council?
176. What is the other name for Dima Hasao Autonomous Council?
Answer: North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council
177. Where is the Headquarters of Dima Hasao Autonomous Council?
178. How many Development councils were created by the Government of Assam for the Socio-Economic upliftment and sustainability targeted development of different backward communities?
179. When was Karbi Anglong District Council formed?
Answer: 17 November 1951
180. When was Karbi Anglong District Council changed to Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council?
Answer: 23 June 1952
181. When was the Bodo Kachari Welfare Autonomous Council formed?
182. When was the Kamatapur Autonomous Council formed?
183. When was the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) constituted by the Government of Assam?
184. When was the first election held for the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council to constitute the General Council?
185. When was the Moran Autonomous Council formed?
186. How many seats were won by the BJP in the 2021 Assam Legislative Assembly election?
Answer: 60 Seats (Total 75 Seats with Alliance)
187. How many seats were won by the BJP in the 2021 Assam Legislative Assembly election?
Answer: 50 Seats
188. What was the result of the 2021 Assam Legislative Assembly election?
1) Bharatiya Janata Party: 60 seats
2) Asom Gana Parishad: 9 seats
3) United People’s Party Liberal: 6 seats
4) Indian National Congress: 29 seats
5) All India United Democratic Front: 16 seats
6) Bodoland People’s Front: 4 seats
7) Communist Party of India (Marxist): 1 seat
8) Independent: 1 seat
189. Who contested as an independent candidate?
Answer: Akhil Gogoi
190. Which is the largest Division of Assam?
Answer: Lower Assam Division (Comprises 12 Districts)
191. Which district has been carved out from the Barpeta District?
Answer: Bajali District
192. Which Governor announced the 34th District of Assam?
Answer: Jagdish Mukhi (Bajali District)
193. How many new districts were formed on 15 August 2015?
Answer: 5 (Five)
1) Biswanath District
2) Charaideo District
3) Hojai District
4) South Salmara-Mankachar District
5) Karbi Anglong District was divided into East and West Districts
194. Where is the headquarters of the North Assam Division?
195. Which Chief Minister of Assam announced the River Island District of Assam?
Answer: Sarbananda Sonowal (Majuli District)
196. Who is the first Ahom king in medieval Assam?
197. When is Asom Divas celebrated?
Answer: 2nd December
198. How long is the Bhutan–India border?
Answer: 699 km (267 km in Assam)
199. Which Commander’s statue is on the Brahmaputra River?
Answer: Lachit Borphukan
200. Who was the first Assamese to climb Mount Everest?
Answer: Tarun Saikia (18 May 2013)
201. Who was the first Chief Election Commissioner from Assam?
Answer: Harishankar Brahma (19th CEC)
202. Who was the first person from Assam to receive Padma Bhushan award?
Answer: Sitaram Seksaria (Social Work)
203. Who was the first person from Assam to receive Padma Shri Award?
Answer: Amalprava Das (Public Affairs)
204. When was Srimanta Sankardeva Award introduced?
Answer: 1986 (First Award introduced by the Government of Assam)
205. Name the Award of Assam that was introduced in 2017?
Answer: Sonit Konwar Gajen Barua Award
206. Who is the present governor of Assam?
Answer: Jagdish Mukhi
207. Who is the first athlete from Assam to get a medal in the Olympics?
Answer: Lovlina Borgohain
208. Which sports did Lovlina Borgohain play in the Olympics?
209. Which Boxing event did Lovlina Borgohain play in the Olympics?
Answer: Women’s welterweight
210. Who is the first olympian from Assam to participate in the Olympic games?
Answer: Dipankar Bhattacharjee
211. Who is the first Assamese to get the Arjuna Award?
Answer: Bhogeswar Baruah
212. In honor of Bhogeswar Baruah’s birthday which Special Day is celebrated every year on the 3rd of September?
Answer: Abhiruchi Sports Day
213. Which Medal was won by Lovlina Borgohain in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?
Answer: Bronze Medal (3rd)
214. Lovlina Borgohain became the ___ person from Assam to receive the Arjuna Award?
215. In which weight category did Lovlina Borgohain win a Bronze Medal in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?
216. Who is the first person from Assam to receive the Bharat Ratna Award?
Answer: Gopinath Bordoloi (first Chief Minister of Assam)
217. What is the amount given by the Government of Assam to Lovlina Borgohain for winning a Bronze medal at the 2020 Olympics?
Answer: ₹50 lakh (US$70,000)
218. What is the border length between Assam and Meghalaya?
Answer: 885 Km
219. What is the border length between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh?
Answer: 804 Km
220. What is the border length between Assam and Nagaland?
Answer: 512 Km
221. What is the border length between Assam and Manipur?
Answer: 204 Km
222. What is the border length between Assam and Mizoram?
Answer: 164 km
223. What is the border length between Assam and West Bengal?
Answer: 127 Km
224. What is the border length between Assam and Tripura?
Answer: 46 Km
225. What is the border length between Assam and Bangladesh?
Answer: 268 Km
226. What is the border length between Assam and Bhutan?
Answer: 266 Km
|Length As Per Govt. Website of Assam|
227. When is the foundation day of IIT Guwahati?
Answer: 1st September
228. What is the new name to be renamed for the Raji Gandhi Orang National Park?
Answer: Orang National Park
229. Olympic Bronze Medallist, Boxer Lovlina Borgohain will be the new Brand Ambassador of which Department in Assam?
Answer: Education (Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan)
230. Who is the Speaker of the Assam Legislative Assembly?
Answer: Biswajit Daimary (Since 21st May 2021)
231. Who is the Deputy Speaker of the Assam Legislative Assembly?
Answer: Numal Momin (Since 2nd May 2021)
232. Who is the Chief Secretary of Assam?
Answer: Jishnu Barua (IAS)
233. Who is the Principal Secretary of Assam?
Answer: Archana Varma (IAS)
234. Which Prime Minister signed Assam Accord?
Answer: Rajiv Gandhi (in New Delhi on 15 August 1985)
235. Who is the first Lokayukta of Assam?
Answer: Justice T.C Das (1st Feb 1989 – 31st Jan 1994)
236. Who is the present Lokayukta of Assam (2022)?
Answer: Justice C.R. Sarma (Since 31st Oct 2016)
Full-Form Related To Assam
|1||ACS||Assam Civil Service|
|2||AGM||Anchalik Gana Morcha|
|3||AGP||Asom Gana Parishad|
|4||AIUDF||All India United Democratic Front|
|5||AJP||Assam Jatiya Parishad|
|6||APSC||Assam Public Service Commission|
|7||BPF||Bodoland People’s Front|
|8||BTAD||Bodoland Territorial Area Districts|
|9||KAAC||Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council|
|10||KAC||Kamatapur Autonomous Council|
|11||KMSS||Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti|
|12||MAC||Mising Autonomous Council|
|13||MPLAD||MP’s Local Area Fund|
|14||NCHAC||North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council|
|15||NDFB||National Democratic Front of Bodoland|
|17||RHAC||Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council|
|18||RJD||Rashtriya Janata Dal|
|19||ULFA||United Liberation Front of Asom|
|20||UPPL||United People’s Party Liberal|
237. Which is the largest district of Assam?
Answer: Karbi Anglong (East) [7,366 Km2]
238. Which is the second largest district of Assam after Karbi Anglong?
Answer: Dima Hasao (4,890 Km2)
239. How many recipients received the Padma Shri Award 2022 from Assam?
Answer: 2 (Two)
240. Who were the recipients of the Padma Shri Award 2022?
Answer: Shakuntala Choudhary (social Work) & Dhaneswar Engti (Literature & Education)
241. Who was the first recipient of the Padma Vibhushan Award from Assam?
Answer: Bimala Prasad Chaliha (Civil Service) in 1971
242. Who was the first recipient of the Padma Bhushan Award from Assam?
Answer: Sitaram Seksaria (Social Work) in 1962
243. Who was the first recipient of the Padma Shri Award from Assam?
Answer: Amalprava Das (Public Affairs) & Mathura Das (Medicine) in 1954
245. Which award of Assam was given to Tata Trusts Chairman Ratan Tata?
Answer: Assam Baibhav (The state’s highest Civilian Award-The Assam Baibhav Award carries a citation, a medal, and ₹ 5 lakh cash)