Last Updated: 4 June 2021
Do you know how many states does Assam share its border?
Well, the answer is seven, Assam shares its border with 7 Indian states.
It is the second state in India that is connected with several states after Uttar Pradesh that shares its border with 9 states.
Assam is a state in Northeast India popularly known for its Assam Tea and Assam Silk.
In this article, we will cover Assam’s History, Geography, Demographics, Culture, Economy, Some Politics, and many more.
Read all the General Knowledge Questions On Assam to learn about the interesting facts about this Indian State.
General Knowledge On Assam
1) Arunachal Pradesh
7) West Bengal
Answer: 78,438 km2
Answer: 16 (2.38 % of the National Share)
Answer: Guwahati (Area: 328 km²)
Answer: 26 January 1950
Read the full list here.
Answer: Zubeen Garg, Papon, Deeplina Deka, Vreegu Kashyap, etc
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram
Answer: West Bengal
Answer: Nagaland and Manipur
Answer: Bhutan And Bangladesh
Answer: IIT Guwahati (Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati)
Answer: O Mur Apunar Desh
Answer: Southern Region of Assam
Related: Sikkim GK 2021– Latest Multiple Choice Questions
Answer: Kanchanjuri (Assam)
Answer: Himanta Biswa Sarma
Answer: Keshab Mahanta
Answer: Digboi (Assam)
1) Kaziranga National Park: Golaghat and Nagaon districts (Assam)
2) Manas National Park: Barpeta district (Assam)
Answer: Guwahati (Assam)
Answer: Dhola Sadiya Bridge (9.15 Km, Assam)
Answer: Subansiri Dam (130 m)
Answer: Rang Ghar (Assam)
Answer: 6 (Six)
1) Dibrugarh Airport
2) Jorhat Airport
3) Lilabari Airport
4) Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport
5) Silchar Airport
6) Tezpur Airport
Answer: Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (Guwahati)
Answer: Former Chief Minister of Assam (1st)
1) Animal: Indian rhinoceros
2) Bird: White-winged duck
3) Flower: Foxtail orchid
4) Tree: Hollong
1) Dibru-Saikhowa National Park
2) Kaziranga National Park
3) Manas National Park
4) Nameri National Park
5) Orang National Park
List Of Districts In Assam
|9||Dhemaji||20||Karbi Anglong (East)||31||South Salmara|
|10||Dhubri||21||Karbi Anglong (West)||32||Tinsukia|
51. Which Religions are found in Assam?
6) Sikhism, etc
52. How many Autonomous Administrative Divisions are in Assam?
Answer: 3 (Three)
Explanation: Assam has furthermore six statutory autonomous councils.
53. What are the Autonomous Administrative Divisions of Assam?
1) Bodoland Autonomous Territorial Council
2) Dima Hasao District Council
3) Karbi Anglong District Council
54. What are the 6 Statutory Autonomous Council of Assam?
1) Tiwashong Autonomous Council
2) Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council
3) Mishing Autonomous Council
4) Sonowal Kachari Autonomous Council
5) Thengal Kachari Autonomous Council
6) Titabar and Deori Autonomous Council
55. What is the name of the High Court of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati High Court
56. What are the Popular Cuisine Of Assam?
1) Assam tea
6) Tambul (betel nut)- paan
7) Rice beer, etc
57. Popular Dances of Assam?
3) Bihu Dance
5) Bodo Dance, etc
58. Largest River Island in India?
Answer: Majuli (formed by Brahmaputra River)
59. Longest River Bridge in India?
Answer: Bhupen Hazarika Setu (9.15 km)
60. Which River is known as the Sorrow of Assam?
Answer: Brahmaputra River
Council Of Ministers Of Assam 2021
61. First actress in Assamese Cinema?
Answer: Aideu Handique
62. The First Chief Minister of Assam
Answer: Gopinath Bordoloi
63. Who Received Bharat Ratna Award from Assam?
Answer: Bhupen Hazarika (Playback Singer)
Read the full list here.
64. What is Brahmaputra River called in China?
Answer: Yarlung Tsangpo
65. Which Indian Rivers pour into Bangladesh?
Answer: Ganga, Meghna, Brahmaputra
66. Which Indian River is known as the “Red River”?
67. What is the Brahmaputra River called in Arunachal Pradesh?
Answer: Dihang (A.K.A Siang)
68. Assam has the largest population in the world of which Animal?
Answer: Wild Water Buffalo
69. How many species of birds does Assam have?
Answer: Around 820 Species (Assam has the highest diversity of birds in India)
70. What are the languages spoken in Assam?
1) Assamese (48.38%)
2) Bengali (28.92%)
3) Hindi (6.73%)
4) Bodo (4.54%)
5) Sadri (2.29%)
6) Mishing (1.98%)
7) Nepali (1.91%)
8) Karbi (1.64%)
9) Odia (0.70%)
10) Santali (0.68%)
11) Manipuri (0.54%)
12) Garo (0.52%)
13) Others (1.17%)
71. Which is India’s first district that is a river island?
Answer: Majuli district (Assam)
72. Which two districts have 5 Sub Divisions?
Answer: Barpeta and Kamrup Metro
1) Barpeta: Barpeta, Bajali, Kalgachia, Sarukhetri, Sorbhog
2) Kamrup Metro: Guwahati, Chandrapur, Dispur, Sonapur, Azara
73. When was Assam University established?
74. When was Assam territory first separated from Bengal?
75. What is the First Day of “Rongali Bihu” called?
Answer: Goru Bihu (the Bihu of the cows)
76. What was Ancient Assam Known as?
Answer: Pragjyotisha and Kamrupa
77. In which Hilltop Kamakhya Temple is situated?
Answer: Nilachal Hill
78. In which year the capital of Assam shifted from Shillong to Dispur?
79. When was Assam Sahitya Sabha established?
Answer: December 1917
80. The First President of Assam Sahitya Sabha?
Answer: Padmanath Gohain Baruah
81. When was Assam Rifles established?
82. Where is the Headquarter of Assam Rifles?
83. What is the Motto of Assam Rifles?
Answer: Sentinels of the North East
84. When was Assam Police established?
85. When was Gauhati University founded?
Answer: 26 January 1948
86. When was Assam Accord signed?
Answer: 15 August 1985
87. How many National Parks are in Assam?
Answer: 5 (Five)
88. Total number of Bridges over the River Brahmaputra?
Answer: 6 (Six)
89. Which city does the Naranarayan Setu at Pancharatna connect?
90. When was the First Assamese film released?
Answer: 10 March 1935
91. Name of the First Assamese film?
92. When was the First Tea Company in Assam established?
93. First Tea Company in India?
Answer: Assam Tea Company
94. When was Assam Public Service Commission founded?
Answer: 1 April 1937
95. Who discovered Tea in Assam?
Answer: Robert Bruce
96. Which is the First Tea Garden in Assam?
97. What is Assam famous for?
Answer: Assam Tea and Assam Silk
98. Who is known as the “Father of Assamese people”?
Answer: Baikunthanatha Bhagavata Bhattacharya
99. How many Types of Tea are there in Assam?
Answer: Two Kinds
100. Name the First Assamese Newspaper?
Answer: Dainik Batori
101. Name of the First Assamese Grammar Book?
102. Name the First Open University of Assam?
Answer: Krishna Kanta Handique Open University
103. Name the First Secondary School of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati Seminari
104. Which is the First University of Assam?
Answer: Guwahati University
105. Who translated Mahabharata into the Assamese Language first?
Answer: Rama Saraswati
106. Name the First Assamese Novel?
Answer: Bhanumati (1890)
107. What is the First Assamese Romantic Poem?
Answer: Bon Kunwori
108. First Assamese color film?
109. Who was the First King of Assam?
110. What is the name of the Second Assamese movie?
Answer: Indramalati (1939)
111. Which is the Smallest District in Assam by Area?
Answer: South Salmara (568 km²)
112. Which is the Biggest District in Assam?
Answer: Karbi Anglong (10,434 km²)
113. Which is the Largest Village in Assam?
114. What is the Oldest Name of Tezpur?
115. Which city is known as the City of Blood?
116. First Assamese to win a Gold Medal at an International Event?
Answer: Bhogeswar Baruah (1966 Asian Games)
117. Who was the last king of Ahom Kingdom?
Answer: Purandar Singha
118. Which district was given to Pakistan in 1947 that was separated from Assam?
119. First Capital of the Ahom Kingdom in Assam?
120. Where does the Highest Concentration of Forest in the State of Assam occur?
Answer: Karbi Anglong district
121. Where is One-Horned Rhino found in India?
122. Which Wildlife Sanctuary holds the highest density of the Rhino population in the world?
Answer: Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary (Assam)
123. What is the area of Kaziranga National Park?
Answer: 430 km²
124. What is the Total Number of Parliamentary Constituency in Assam?
Answer: 14 (Fourteen)
125. Which town in Assam is known as Manchester of Assam?
126. Where is Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary located?
127. When was Mizoram separated from Assam?
128. When was Nagaland separated from Assam?
129. Which Indian state is the largest producer of bamboo?
130. Biosphere Reserves of Assam?
Answer: Manas and Dibru-Saikhowa
131. State Motto of Assam?
Answer: Joi Aai Ôxom (Hail mother Assam)
132. When was Kaziranga National Park declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO?
133. First Assamese to make Etymological Dictionary of the Assamese language based on Sanskrit spellings?
Answer: Hemchandra Barua
134. First Barrister of Assam?
Answer: Anundoram Borooah
135. Which Zoo is located in Guwahati City?
Answer: Assam State Zoo cum Botanical Garden
136. In which year was Gopinath Bordoloi arrested due to active participation in the Non-Cooperation Movement?
137. Full-Form of AASU?
Answer: All Assam Students Union
138. First Medical College in Northeastern India?
Answer: Assam Medical College & Hospital (Dibrugarh)
139. Which city is known as the Cultural Capital of Assam?
140. When was Assam Agriculture University established?
141. When was Assam Gas Cracker Project approved by CCEA?
Answer: April 18, 2006
142. Who was the first IAS of Assam?
Answer: Jamchonga Nampui
143. Where is Assam Women’s University located?
144. Where is Pani Dihing Bird sanctuary?
Answer: Sivasagar District
145. Which NIT is present in Assam?
Answer: National Institute Of Technology Silchar
146. During whose Reign the Amphitheater Rang Ghar was constructed?
Answer: Swargadeo Rudra Singha
147. Name the First Stadium in Assam?
Answer: Jorhat stadium
148. Who is the First Lady Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Syeda Anwara Taimur
149. Which city of Assam has the largest dry fish market in Asia?
150. When was the National Games of India held in Assam?
List of chief ministers of Assam
|Premier of Assam between 1937-1950 is not included on the list|
|No.||Chief Minister||Term In||Term Out||Party|
|1||Gopinath Bordoloi||26 Jan 1950||6 Aug 1950||INC|
|2||Bishnuram Medhi||09 Aug 1950||27 Dec 1957||INC|
|3||Bimala Prasad Chaliha||28 Dec 1957||06 Nov 1970||INC|
|4||Mahendra Mohan Choudhry||11 Nov 1970||30 Jan 1972||INC|
|5||Sarat Chandra Singha||31 Jan 1972||12 Mar 1978||INC|
|6||Golap Borbora||12 Mar 1978||04 Sep 1979||JP|
|7||Jogendra Nath Hazarika||09 Sep 1979||11 Dec 1979||JP|
|➢||President’s Rule||12 Dec 1979||05 Decr 1980||⟰|
|8||Syeda Anwara Taimur||06 Dec 1980||30 Jun 1981||INC|
|➢||President’s Rule||30 Jun 1981||13 Jan 1982||INC|
|9||Kesab Chandra Gogoi||13 Jan 1982||19 Mar 1982||INC|
|➢||President’s Rule||19 Mar 1982||27 Feb 1983||⟰|
|10||Hiteswar Saikia||27 Feb 1983||23 Dec 1985||INC|
|11||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta||24 Dec 1985||28 Nov 1990||AGP|
|➢||President’s Rule||28 Nov 1990||30 Jun 1991||⟰|
|~||Hiteswar Saikia||30 Jun 1991||22 Apr 1996||INC|
|12||Bhumidhar Barman||22 Apr 1996||14 May 1996||INC|
|~||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta||15 May 1996||17 May 2001||AGP|
|13||Tarun Gogoi||18 May 2001||24 May 2016||INC|
|14||Sarbananda Sonowal||24 May 2016||10 May 2021||BJP|
|15||Himanta Biswa Sarma||10 May 2021||Incumbent||BJP|
151. Where is the Birthplace of the Brahmaputra River?
152. Who was the First Governor of Independent Assam?
Answer: Sir Muhammad Saleh Akbar Hydari
153. Who is the First Assamese Woman Graduate?
Answer: Sudhalata Dowarah
154. What is the name of the famous festival of Assam?
Answer: Bihu Festival
155. What is the name given for the Traditional Sweet of Assam?
156. Who has been selected for the “Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar” in the category of Art and Culture 2021 from Assam?
Answer: Tanuj Samaddar
157. Which district is Manas National Park located in?
Answer: Chirang District & Baksa District
158. Which district is Tezpur located in?
Answer: Sonitpur district
159. When was Jorhat carved out of the Sivasagar district?
160. When was IIT Guwahati established?
161. Who is the longest-serving Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Tarun Gogoi
162. Who is the first chief minister of Assam from the Bharatiya Janata Party?
Answer: Sarbananda Sonowal
163. When did Himanta Sarma swear in as the Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: 10 May 2021
164. Who is the shortest-serving Chief Minister of Assam?
Answer: Bhumidhar Barman (22 Days)
165. Which political party does Akhil Gogoi belongs to?
Answer: Gana Mukti Sangram Asom