Last Updated: 24 February 2021
Indian Railways is one of the best public facilities offered by the Government of India. It manages the fourth largest railway network in the world by size, U.S.A being the first.
Indian Railway has a route length of 67,368 Km (41,861 miles), running track of 95,981 Km (59,640 miles), and a total track length of 121,407 Km (75,439 miles) as of March 2019.
Indian Railway’s reporting mark is IR and has a five-digit and four-digit numbering system. It runs more than 20,000 passenger trains daily across 7,321 stations in India.
The normal trains run at an average speed of 50.6 km/h, while the fastest ones at an average of 90-95 Km/h.
We have tried to cover most of the important questions on Indian Railways from history to the latest current updates.
These GK questions and answers on Indian Railway will help you not only in exams but extra knowledge about our country’s Railway system.
GK Questions And Answers On Indian Railways
1. Name the First Train in India?
Answer: Red Hill Railway (1837)
2. India’s First Train ran between?
Answer: Red Hills to Chintadripet bridge (Madras)
Explanation: It was pulled by a rotary steam-engine locomotive manufactured by William Avery and Built by Arthur Cotton. The railway was primarily used for transporting laterite stone in Madras for road-building works.
3. First Passenger Train in India?
Answer: Sahib, Sindh, and Sultan (16 April 1853). It had 14-carriage and started at 3:35 pm.
4. India’s First Passenger Train Ran Between?
Answer: Bombay’s Bori Bunder station and Thane station (The journey took an hour and fifteen minutes).
5. How Many People did the First Passenger Train carry?
6. Distance covered by the first passenger train?
Answer: 34 Km (21 miles)
Check Out The History of Indian Railways Year Wise Here.
7. The First Passenger Train in Eastern India ran from?
Answer: Howrah to Hoogly (15 August 1854)
Explanation: It was a distance of 39 Km (24 miles)
8. South India’s first passenger train ran from?
Answer: Royapuram–Veyasarapady (Madras) to Wallajah Road in Arcot (1 July 1856)
Explanation: It was a distance of 97 km (60 miles)
9. When was India’s first tramway (horse-drawn) opened in Calcutta?
Answer: 24 February 1873
Explanation: The first tramway ran between Sealdah and Armenian Ghat Street. It was a distance of 3.8 kilometers (2.4 miles)
10. First Railway to introduce electric lighting as standard fixtures?
Answer: Jodhpur Railway (1902)
11. First Electric signal lighting was introduced between?
Answer: Dadar and Currey Train Road in Bombay in the year 1920
12. The First Electric Passenger train in India ran between?
Answer: Victoria Terminus (VT) and Kurla, 3 February 1925 (on 1,500 V DC overhead traction)
13. India’s first automatic color-light signals became operational between?
Answer: Bombay VT to Byculla
14. When was Sleeping accommodations introduced in coaches?
Answer: 1st August 1955
15. Fans and lights were mandated for all compartments in all passenger classes on?
16. First Fully Air-Conditioned (AC) Train was introduced between?
Answer: Howrah to Delhi (1956)
17. The first section electrified with 25 kV AC traction?
Answer: Raj Kharswan to Dangoaposi (1960)
18. The first Indian Metro?
Answer: Kolkata Metro
Explanation: Kolkata Metro was Inaugurated in 1984 by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The route covered 12 stations- 6 elevated, 6 underground.
19. India’s first Metro Train ran from?
Answer: Esplanade to Bhowanipur (now the Netaji Bhawan station) in Calcutta on 24 October 1984
20. When was computerized ticketing and reservations introduced and where?
Answer: In 1986, New Delhi
21. India’s First fastest train?
Answer: The Shatabdi Express (New Delhi and Jhansi in 1988)
Explanation: Railways Minister on that year was Madhavrao Scindia
22. When was the first Self-Printing Ticket Machine (SPTM) introduced?
Answer: 1990, New Delhi
23. When was Air-conditioned, Three-tier coaches and a Sleeper class introduced?
24. When did Indian Railways (IR) begin Online Train Reservations and Ticketing?
Answer:3 August 2002
25. When was the Tatkal system of ticketing Introduced?
26. India’s fastest train with a maximum speed of 180 km/h?
Answer: Vande Bharat Express Train 18
27. Indian Railway announced that the entire rail network would be electrified by?
28. When was the Railway Budget separated from the general budget?
Explanation: Till 2016, the Railway Budget was presented every year, a few days before the Union budget. Modi Government on 21 September 2016 approved the merger of the Railway and General budgets from next year (2017), ending a 92 years old practice of a separate budget for the nation’s largest transporter.
29. The First Railway Budget was presented in the year? (British Raj)
30. First Railway Budget for Independent India?
31. When did Modi Government approve the merger of the Railway and General budgets ending a 92 years old practice?
Answer: 21 September 2016
32. Who is the longest-serving Railway Minister of India?
Answer: Jagjivan Ram
33. In which year Indian Railways endured a 20-day strike, which damaged the nation’s economy?
34. Longest Railway Tunnel in India?
Answer: Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel
Explanation: This Railway Tunnel is located in the Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas in Jammu and Kashmir which is 11 km long.
35. India’s First Female Train Driver (Locopilot)?
Answer: Surekha Yadav (1988)
36. Who is known as the father of Indian Railways?
Answer: Lord Dalhousie
Explanation: Lord Dalhousie brought in the railway system and postal stamps to India and is often considered as the founder or maker of modern India.
37. Which Indian state has no Railway Station?
Explanation: The nearest Railway Station for Sikkim is Siliguri and New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal.
38. The Oldest Running Train in the history of Indian Railways?
Answer: Kalka Mail (started in 1866)
39. Which Railway Station in India is the World’s longest Railway Platform?
Answer: Gorakhpur Railway Platform
Explanation: The Platform is located in the city of Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh. Gorakhpur Railway Platform is 1366.33 meters (4482.7 ft) with ramp and 1355.40 meters (4446.9 ft) without a ramp. Gorakhpur also serves as the headquarters of the North Eastern Railway.
40. The largest suburban railway network in India?
Answer: Kolkata Suburban Railway
41. Most Busiest Railway Station in India?
Answer: Howrah Junction Railway Station
42. Most Busiest Metro Station in India?
Answer: Rajiv Chowk Metro Station
43. Which is the largest metro in India?
Answer: Delhi Metro (285 stations as of April 2020)
44. Longest Train Route in Indian?
Answer: Dibrugarh – Kanyakumari Vivek Express
Explanation: Kanyakumari Vivek Express runs for 82 hours 45 minutes (3 and half-day). It has about 56 scheduled stops and starts from northern Assam and goes all the way to the southern tip of India to Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu)
45. Which is India’s first AC Double Decker train?
Answer: Howrah – Dhanbad AC Double Decker Express
46. Indian Railway’s Subsidiaries?
Answer: Indian Railway is a major shareholder in 16 PSU, this includes:
- RVNL– Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
- RCIL– RailTel Corporation of India Ltd
- CONCOR– Container Corporation of India Ltd
- CRIS– Centre for Railway Information Systems
- PRCL– Pipavav Railway Corporation Ltd
- RLDA– Rail Land Development Authority
- IRFC– Indian Railway Finance Corporation
- RITES– Rail India Technical and Economic Service
- IRCON– Indian Railway Construction Company Limited
- MRVC– Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation
- KRCL– Konkan Railway Corporation Limited
- DFCCIL– Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited
- IRCTC– Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation
- IRSDC– Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation
47. India’s first Private Train?
Answer: Tejas Express
48. First Wi-Fi train in India?
Answer: Howrah – Delhi Rajadhani Express
49. First Wi-Fi Metro train in India?
Answer: Delhi Metro
50. First Railway Station in India to have a free high-speed Wi-Fi facility?
Answer: Mumbai Central station
- Bharat Ratna Award Winner List In India (1954 – 2021)
- World History General Knowledge Questions And Answer
51. First Bullet Train in India
Answer: It will be launched in 2022 by the National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL). The train will run from Mumbai to Ahmedabad, connecting various cities in between.
52. When was the First Railway Track laid for Passenger Train?
53. Largest Railway Junction in India?
Answer: Mathura junction (Uttar Pradesh)
54. Which station has a vast number of the platform?
Answer: Howrah Junction (23 Platforms)
55. What is the length of the railway track in India?
Answer: About 121,407 km
Explanation: As of 2020 India has a route length of 67,368 Km (41,861 miles) and running track of 93,902 Km (58,348 miles). Check the official website for current updates here.
56. First Railway Station in India?
Answer: Bori Bunder
Explanation: Bori Bunder is located in Mumbai, it was India’s first passenger train station which ran from Bori Bunder to Thane in 1853. It was built by the Great Indian Peninsular Railway and was rebuilt as Victoria Terminus later in 1888, presently Known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus Victoria Terminus
57. India’s Oldest Working Locomotive that is still in use?
Answer: Fairy Queen
Explanation: Fairy Queen is the world’s oldest working locomotive that is still in use which was manufactured in 1855.
58. Most visited railway museum in India?
Answer: National Rail Museum at New Delhi
59. The Most Expensive Luxury Train in India?
Answer: The Maharaja’s Express
Explanation: It covers around 12 destinations. Some of the places are the bathing Ghats of Varanasi, the Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, the Khajuraho temples, Ranthambhore, etc.
60. The Slowest Train in India?
Answer: Mettupalayam Ooty Nilgiri Passenger Train
Explanation: It is 16 times slower than the fastest running train Gatimaan Express, running at a speed of 10 kph
61. Longest Station Name in India
Answer: Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta (in Andra Pradesh)
62. Shortest Station Name in India?
Answer: IB railway station (in Odisha)
63. Headquarter of the newly established railway zone ‘East Coast Railway’?
64. Total Number of Railway Stations in India?
Answer: 7321 stations
Explanation: Click here to learn more on Wikipedia.
65. Which state has the shortest railway route?
Explanation: Mizoram has the shortest railway route of 2Km and a total track length of 6Km. The name of the railway station is the Bairabi railway station, which is connected to the Silchar railway station in Assam.
66. Which state has the longest train route?
Answer: Uttar Pradesh (9167 Km)
67. Which State has the highest number of stations identified for development under the Adarsh Station Scheme?
Answer: West Bengal (383 station)
68. How many stations have been identified for development under the ‘Adarsh Station Scheme?
Answer: 1253 Stations
69. What is the assured money to be given to the nominee of the confirmed/RAC and wait-listed railway passenger whose death occurs in a railway accident as per the Optional Travel Insurance Scheme launched in 2016?
Answer: 10 Lakh
70. India’s longest Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel is located between?
Answer: Quazigund and Banihal
71. The popular train ‘Deccan Queen’ runs between?
Answer: Mumbai and Pune
72. Why are Fish plates used in railway tracks?
Answer: To join two rails in a track
73. The first Tejas Express was inaugurated on?
Answer: 24 May 2017
Explanation: This train runs between Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus to Karmali Goa. There are 4 Tejas Express in 2020.
74. In which year was the Pamban bridge commissioned connecting India’s mainland to Rameswaram island?
Explanation: It was opened on 24 February 1914. Pamban Bridge is India’s first sea bridge and was the longest sea bridge in India until the opening of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in 2010.
75. Which zone administers the Matheran Hill Railway?
Answer: Central Railways
76. Which Railway Stations are designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites?
Answer: The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, The Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and the Kalka–Shimla Railway are collectively designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the name “Mountain Railways of India”.
77. Which train is India’s first train operated by the private operators?
Answer: Lucknow – New Delhi Tejas Express (4 October 2019)
78. In which city is the Indian Railway Institute of Financial Management (IRIFM) being set up?
Answer: Secunderabad (Telangana)
79. Where is the Indian Railway Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (IRIMEE) located?
Answer: Jamalpur, Bihar
80. How many zones do the Indian Railways have?
Answer: 17 Zones
81. Which Headquarters Railway Zones in India is situated at the highest elevation from the mean sea level?
Answer: South Western Railway
82. Which is the First Railway Station in India to run fully on solar power?
Answer: Guwahati railway station
83. Which railway station has been renamed as ‘Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Nagar’ railway station?
84. Which place is the National Rail and Transportation University (NRTI) located?
Answer: Vadodara, Gujarat.
85. Which Train is the fully Unreserved Superfast train?
Answer: Antyodaya Express
86. Present Railway Minister of 2020?
Answer: Piyush Goyal (on service from 4 September 2017)
87. When was India’s first compressed natural gas (CNG)-powered train Inaugurated?
Answer: 13 January 2015 (Rewari – Rohtak)
88. Who developed the UTS (Unreserved Ticketing System) mobile app?
Answer: Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS)
89. Which railway station is located at the highest altitude in India?
Answer: Ghum Railway Station of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
90. Indian Railway Track Gauge?
Answer: 1,676 mm; 1,000 mm; 762 mm; 610 mm
91. Which year Suresh Prabhu presented the last railway budget of India?
92. Which year was the building of Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) constructed?
Explanation: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was designed by Frederick William Stevens and is one of the busiest railway stations in India
93. Who was the Governor-General of India when Railways were first introduced in India?
Answer: Lord Dalhousie (1848-1856)
94. Which is the longest railway bridge in India and where?
Answer: Vembanad Rail Bridge, Kerala (4.62 Km)
95. First international train in India?
Answer: Maitree Express (Kolkata to Dhaka)
96. How many Coaches does the normal length of passenger train have?
Explanation: Passenger train is average 650 meters in length and has a coach length around 25 meters.
97. Where is the Wheel and Axle Plant of the Indian Railways located?
98. Who designed the First Railway Timetable?
Answer: George Bradshaw
99. What rank does India hold in the world in terms of length of railroad network?
100. Where is the Headquarter of the Indian railway?
Answer: New Delhi
101. Which stations have all the three gauges viz. broad, meter, and narrow?
Answer: Siliguri Junction
102. Width of the 4 Gauges in India?
- Broad Gauge: 1676 mm (5 feet 6 inches)- Most used
- Standard Gauge: 1435 mm ( 4 feet 8 inches)- Metros and Trams
- Meter Gauge: 1000 mm (3 ft 3 inch)- Nilgiri Mountain Railway
- Narrow Gauge: 762 mm (2 feet 6 inches) and 610 mm (2 feet)- Toy Trains
103. When was the First IPO (Initial Public Offering) of IRCTC launched?
Answer: It was open for subscriptions between 30 September and 4 October 2019. It was listed on the stock exchange on 14 October 2019 at ₹320
Explanation: The price band of IRCTC IPO was ₹315-320, it was subscribed 112 times.
104. What is the full form of IRFC?
Answer: Indian Railway Finance Corporation
105. When was the First IPO (Initial Public Offering) of IRFC launched?
Answer: It was open for subscriptions between 18th January and 20th January 2021. It was listed on the stock exchange on 29th January 2021 at ₹24.9. The price band of IRFC IPO was ₹25-26