Last Updated: 2 January 2021
Are You looking for Himachal Pradesh General Knowledge For HPPSC 2021?
Well, You came to the right place!
In this article, we have covered a wide variety of Topics that you must know before sitting for the HPPSC Exam.
HP GK Questions and Answers will help you boost your knowledge and also help you score well in your entrance exam.
Read all the Himachal Pradesh General Knowledge Questions and Answer and write your exam well!
Himachal Pradesh At A Glance
Answer: 55,673 km2
Answer: Croatia (56,594 km2)
Answer: 25 January 1971
Answer: 12 Districts
Answer: Reo Purgyil (6816 m)
Answer: Yashwant Singh Parmar
Answer: Gya (6795 m)
Answer: 30 April 1977
Answer: Virbhadra Singh (21 Years)
Answer: 3 Divisions
Answer: 3 Seats
Answer: 4 Seats
Geography Of Himachal Pradesh
1. Which Union Territories does Himachal Pradesh shares its border?
Answer: Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh
2. Which states are located in the South of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh
3. In which year, the hilly areas of Punjab were merged into Himachal Pradesh?
4. What is the Full Form of IHR?
Answer: Indian Himalayan Region
5. What is the Full Form of HPMC?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh Horticultural Produce Marketing and Processing Corporation Ltd.
6. Name the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Kalka-Shimla Railway and Great Himalayan National Park
7. What is the Full Form of HPRP?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh Reforestation Project
8. What is the principal cash crop of Himachal Pradesh?
9. Which is the highest Dam in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Bhakra Dam
10. Where is the Indian Institute of Technology of Himachal Pradesh located?
11. Which is the largest glacier in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Bara Shigri
12. Where is the largest glacier in Himachal Pradesh situated?
Answer: Chandra Valley
13. Which pass separates Mandi from Kullu?
Answer: Dhulchi Pass
14. What is the altitude of Rohtang Pass?
Answer: 3,980 m
15. What is the altitude of Kinnaur Kailash?
Answer: 6,500 m
16. Where is Nicholas Roerich Art Gallery And Museum located in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Naggar (Kullu District)
17. Where is the Central Tibetan Administration located?
18. Which valley does the Rohtang pass connects the Kullu Valley with?
Answer: Lahaul and Spiti valleys
19. When was the Great Himalayan National Park established?
20. Which pass joins Kangra and Chamba?
Answer: Waru pass
Districts And Divisions Of Himachal Pradesh
1. Which is the largest district of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Lahaul and Spiti (13,833 km2)
2. Which is the smallest district of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Hamirpur (1,118 km2)
3. How many Sub Divisions are in Himachal Pradesh?
4. How many Tehsils are in Himachal Pradesh?
5. Which is the largest Division of Himachal Pradesh?
6. Which District is Bir Billing located?
Answer: Kangra District
7. Which District is Bhuntar Airport located?
Answer: Kullu District
8. Which district of Himachal Pradesh is most populous as per the Census of India 2011?
Answer: Kangra District (21.98%)
9. Which district of Himachal Pradesh is least populous as per the Census of India 2011?
Answer: Lahaul & Spiti (0.46%)
10. Which district of Himachal Pradesh in particular stands out for high literacy rates across all metrics of measurement?
Answer: Hamirpur District
11. How many Nagar Nigams are in Himachal Pradesh?
12. How many Nagar Parishads are in Himachal Pradesh?
13. How many Nagar Panchayats are in Himachal Pradesh?
14. How many Zila Parishads are in Himachal Pradesh?
15. How many National Highways are in Himachal Pradesh?
16. Which district is the Chamunda Devi Temple located?
Answer: Kangra district
17. Where is the Administrative Headquarters of Kangra District?
18. Which is the largest city of Himachal Pradesh?
19. Which district is the Uhal Hydroelectric Project located?
20. Which district is the Lama Dal Lake located?
State Symbols & Important Facts
1. When was Himachal Pradesh declared as India’s second open-defecation free state?
2. When was Himachal Pradesh declared as a Union Territory?
Answer: 1 November 1956
3. What is the capital of Himachal Pradesh?
4. What is the Official Language of Himachal Pradesh?
5. What is the State Mammal of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Snow Leopard
6. What is the State Bird of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Western tragopan
7. What is the State Flower of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Pink Rhododendron
8. What is the State Fruit of Himachal Pradesh?
9. What is the State Tree of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Deodar cedar
10. What is the Motto of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Satyameva Jayate
11. What is the literal meaning of “Himachal”?
12. What is the Additional Official Language of Himachal Pradesh?
13. When did Himachal Pradesh host Paragliding World Cup?
14. As per the Census of India 2011, Which gender has more population in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Females (972 Females per 1,000 Males)
15. Which religion is mostly followed by the People of Himachal Pradesh?
16. Who built the new town of Mandi?
Answer: Ajbar Sen
17. Which is the largest temple of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Lakshana Devi Temple
18. When is Himachal Day celebrated?
Answer: 15th April
19. Which constituency of Himachal Pradesh became the first e-Assembly of India?
Answer: Palampur Assembly
20. Nati Dance belongs to which Indian state?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh
Government And Politics Of Himachal Pradesh
1. How many Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) are in Himachal Pradesh?
2. Who was the leader of the Dhami Movement in 1939?
Answer: Bhagmal Sautha
3. For how many years Himachal Pradesh did not have Chief Minister?
Answer: 8 Years (1956-1963)
4. Who is the 5th Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Prem Kumar Dhumal
5. Which Chief Minister was elected on 27 December 2017?
Answer: Jai Ram Thakura
6. When was Himachal Pradesh granted full statehood?
7. Who was the first Lieutenant Governor of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: K. S. Himmatsinhji (1 Mar 1952 – 31 Dec 1954)
8. Who was the first Governor of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: S. Chakravarti (25 Jan 1971 – 16 Feb 1977)
9. Who was the Chairman of the Mandi Conference held in 1946?
Answer: Gurbaksh Singh Dhillon
10. When was Himachal Pradesh constituted?
Answer: 15th April 1948
11. Who is popularly known as “Pahari Gandhi”?
Answer: Baba Kanshi Ram
12. What was the Rashtrapati Niwas formerly known as?
Answer: Viceregal Lodge
13. When was Shimla declared as the summer capital of Himachal Pradesh?
14. Who inaugurated the Kalka-Shimla Railway?
Answer: Viceroy Lord Curzon
15. Which Governor of Himachal Pradesh was elected for 1 Month 19 Days in 2019?
Answer: Kalraj Mishra
16. How many constituencies are in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: 68 Constituencies
17. How many constituencies are reserved for Scheduled Caste in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: 17 Constituencies
18. How many constituencies are reserved for Scheduled Tribe in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: 3 Constituencies
19. Who was the Speaker of the first Vidhan Sabha of Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Jaiwant Ram
20. From which Political Party Himachal Pradesh had the most number of Chief Ministers?
Answer: Indian National Congress
Chief Ministers Of Himachal Pradesh
|1||Yashwant Singh Parmar||8 Mar 1952||31 Oct 1956||INC|
|Yashwant Singh Parmar(2)||1 Jul 1963||28 Jan 1977||INC|
|2||Thakur Ram Lal||28 Jan 1977||30 Apr 1977||INC|
|➤||President’s Rule||30 Apr 1977||22 Jun 1977|
|3||Shanta Kumar||22 Jun 1977||14 Feb 1980||JP|
|Thakur Ram Lal(2)||14 Feb 1980||7 Apr 1983||INC|
|4||Virbhadra Singh||8 Mar 1985||5 Mar 1990||INC|
|Shanta Kumar(2)||5 Mar 1990||15 Dec 1992||BJP|
|➤||President’s Rule||15 Dec 1992||3 Dec 1993|
|Virbhadra Singh(2)||3 Dec 1993||23 Mar 1998||INC|
|5||Prem Kumar Dhumal||24 Mar 1998||5 Mar 2003||BJP|
|Virbhadra Singh(3)||6 Mar 2003||30 Dec 2007||INC|
|Prem Kumar Dhumal(2)||30 Dec 2007||25 Dec 2012||BJP|
|Virbhadra Singh(4)||25 Dec 2012||27 Dec 2017||INC|
|6||Jai Ram Thakur||27 Dec 2017||Incumbent||BJP|
|Political Party Acronyms|
|1||INC||Indian National Congress|
|3||BJP||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Lakes And Rivers Of Himachal Pradesh
1. Which district is Manimahesh Lake located?
Answer: Chamba District
2. Which river in Himachal Pradesh is the Pandoh Dam located?
Answer: Beas River
3. Which place is called Mini Switzerland of Himachal Pradesh?
4. What is the Vedic name of the Ravi River?
5. What is the Vedic name of Satluj River?
6. What is the Vedic name of the Beas River?
7. Which River is the Bhakra Dam located?
Answer: Sutlej River
8. What is the Vedic name of the Chenab River?
9. Which river is associated with the Nathpa Jhakri Hydroelectric Project?
Answer: Sutlej River
10. Which is the largest river of Himachal Pradesh in terms of volume of water?
Answer: Chenab River (Chandrabhaga)
11. Which is the largest natural lake in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Renuka Lake
12. On which river is the Chamba Pattan Bridge built?
Answer: Beas River
13. Which district locates the Suraj Tal Lake?
Answer: Lahaul and Spiti
14. Which district is Ravi River located?
Answer: Kangra District
15. Which river flows through Manali?
Answer: Beas River
History Of Himachal Pradesh
1. When did Mahmud of Ghazni loot the town of Kangra?
Answer: 1009 AD
2. When was Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports at Manali set up??
3. When was the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS) Shimla established?
4. Who built the Laxmi Narayan temple at Chamba?
Answer: Raja Sahil Verman
5. Where is the Department of Ayurveda in Himachal Pradesh located?
Himachal Pradesh General Knowledge
1. Where was “The Great Khali” from WWE born?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh
2. What is the Height of Reo Purgyil?
Answer: 6,816 m
3. Which is the smallest town of Himachal Pradesh?
4. What is the altitude of Cholang Peak?
Answer: 3,270 m
5. Who is the author of the “Antiquities of Chamba State”?
Answer: J. Ph. Vogel
6.Which city of Himachal Pradesh is known as “Mushroom city of India”?
7. Which is the highest Cricket pitch in the world?
Answer: Chail Cricket Ground (Solan)
8. Who is the present Education Minister of Himachal Pradesh (2020)?
Answer: Govind Singh Thakur
9. Who is the present Forest Minister of Himachal Pradesh (2020)?
Answer: Rakesh Pathania
10. Which is the Oldest Hydroelectric Project in Himachal Pradesh?
Answer: Shanan Joginder Nagar
Council Of Ministers Of Himachal Pradesh (2017–2022)
|1||Jairam Thakur||Chief Minister||1) Excise and Taxation|
3) General Administrations
7) Public Works
9) All other Departments not alloted to any other Minister
|2||Mahender Singh Thakur||Jal Shakti Minister||1) Horticulture|
2) Jal Shakti
4) Sainik Welfare
|3||Govind Singh Thakur||Education Minister||1) Elementary Education|
2) Higher Education
3) Language Art and Culture
|4||Suresh Bhardwaj||Urban Development Minister||1) Cooperation|
3) Law and Legal Remembrancer
4) Parliamentary Affairs
5) Town & Country Planning
6) Urban Development
|5||Bikram Singh||Industries Minister||1) Industries|
2) Labour & Employment
|6||Sarveen Chaudhary||Social Justice & Empowerment Minister||Social Justice & Empowerment|
|7||Sukh Ram Chaudhary||MPP and Power Minister||1) MPP and Power|
2) Non-Conventional Energy Sources
|8||Virender Kanwar||Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Minister||1) Agriculture|
2) Animal Husbandry
4) Panchayati Raj
5) Rural Development
|9||Ram Lal Markanda||Technical Education Minister||1) Information Technology|
2) Redressal of Public Grievance
3) Technical Education
4) Tribal Development
5) Vocational & Industrial Training
|10||Rajinder Garg||Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affair Minister||1) Civil Supplies & Consumer Affair|
3) Printing and Stationery
|11||Rajiv Saizal||Health and Family Welfare Minister||1) Ayurveda|
2) Health and Family Welfare
|12||Rakesh Pathania||Forest Minister||1) Forest|
2) Youth Services and Sports
Gazetted Holidays Of Himachal Pradesh 2020
|1||25th Jan||Statehood Day|
|2||26th Jan||Republic Day|
|3||09th Feb||Guru Ravidas’s Birthday|
|4||21st Feb||Maha Shivratri|
|6||02nd Apr||Ram Navami|
|7||10th Apr||Good Friday|
|8||14th Apr||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Birthday|
|9||15th Apr||Himachal Day|
|10||25th Apr||Parshu Ram Jayanti|
|11||07th May||Budha Purnima|
|12||25th May||Id-ul-Fitr/ Maharana Pratap Jayanti|
|13||05th Jun||Sant Guru Kabir Jayanti (Prakat Diwas)|
|14||01st Aug||Idul Zuha (Bakrid)|
|16||15th Aug||Independence Day|
|18||02nd Oct||Mahatma Gandhi Birthday|
|20||31st Oct||Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday|
|22||30th Nov||Guru Nanak’s Birthday|
|23||25th Dec||Christmas Day|
Mountain Peaks Of Himachal Pradesh
|19||Gauri Devi Ka Tibba||4,030|
|34||Saltu Da Par||5,650|
|47||Koa Rang VII||6,096|
|50||Koa Rang III||6,154|
|51||Koa Rang I||6,157|
|52||Koa Rang II||6,187|
|53||Koa Rang VI||6,187|
|57||Koa Rang V||6258|
|60||Chau Chau Kang Nilda||6,303|
|61||Kangla Tarbo 1||6315|
|62||Koa Rang IV||6340|
|79||Leo Pargial II North Peak||6791|