Last Updated: 7 September 2021
Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, formerly known as Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, is the highest Sporting Honor of the Republic of India.
It is awarded annually by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. The Award was established in 1992 and Viswanathan Anand, Chess Grandmaster was the first recipient.
The recipients are selected by a Committee constituted by the Ministry and are honored for their “Spectacular And Most Outstanding Performance In The Field Of Sports Over A Period Of Four Years” at the International level.
As of 2020, the award comprises a Medallion, a Certificate, and a Cash Prize of ₹25 Lakh (US$35,000)
Interesting Facts About Khel Ratna Award
- The Awards were always awarded in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi, India.
- Khel Ratna Award is presented by the President of India.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was awarded from 1992 until 2021, from 2022 the award will be known as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
- A total of 45 recipients have received the award by 2020.
- In 2014 the Award Selection Committee provided suggestions to the Ministry and revised the criteria in February 2015 to consider the performance over a period of four years.
- The Award since 6th August 2021 is named after Major Dhyan Chand (1905–79), an Indian Field Hockey Player, widely regarded as one of the Greatest Field Hockey Players of all time.
- Major Dhyan Chand scored more than 1000 Goals over a career span of 22 years from 1926 to 1948.
- In 2001, Sports Shooter Abhinav Bindra, then aged 18, became the youngest recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- Pankaj Advani is the only sportsperson to have won the award for two sports disciplines; Billiards and Snooker.
- Usually only one Sportsperson is Awarded in a year, a few exceptions have been made (1993–1994, 2002, 2009, 2012, and 2016–2020) when multiple recipients were awarded in a year.
Points For Winning Medals During The Last 4 Years
|1||Olympic Games/Paralympic Games||80||70||55|
|2||World Championship/World Cup||40||30||20|
Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award
|1993–1994||Pushpendra Kumar Garg||Yachting|
|2002||K. M. Beenamol||Athletics|
|2003||Anju Bobby George||Athletics|
|2004||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore||Shooting|
|2005||Pankaj Advani||Billiards & Snooker|
|2006||Manavjit Singh Sandhu||Shooting|
|2007||Mahendra Singh Dhoni||Cricket|
|2016||P. V. Sindhu||Badminton|
|2017||Devendra Jhajharia||Paralympic Javelin|
|2018||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu||Weightlifting|
|2019||Deepa Malik||Paralympic Shot Put|
|2020||Mariyappan Thangavelu||Paralympic High Jump|
|2020||Manika Batra||Table Tennis|
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: 6th August 2021
Answer: Viswanathan Anand
Answer: Pankaj Advani (Billiards and Snooker)
Answer: Abhinav Bindra (18 Years in 2001)