Last Updated: 12 September 2022
Are you looking for Uttarakhand GK Questions and Answers?
You came to the best Website on the internet, but first, let me ask you 2 Simple Questions!
Are you from Uttarakhand?
If Yes, You’ll be fascinated to read many new facts about your beautiful state?
If No, You’ll have fun reading all the Questions and Answer with Quizzes to Test Your IQ.
In this article, You’ll find Uttarakhand GK Questions and Answers that will help you to sit for Competitive Exams like UKSSSC, UKPSC, UPSC State Exams, and also for boosting your Knowledge.
Test your knowledge of the Beautiful Indian State Uttarakhand with many Interesting Topics
Uttarakhand GK Questions And Answers
Answer: Uttara (उत्तर) means ‘North’ and Khaṇḍa (खण्ड) means ‘Land’, So Uttarakhand means Northern Land.
Answer: Bharatiya Janata Party
Answer: A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
History Of Uttarakhand
1. When was Uttaranchal carved out of Uttar Pradesh?
Answer: November 9, 2000
2. When was Uttaranchal renamed Uttarakhand?
Answer: 1 January 2007
3. Which is the 27th State of India?
4. During which period did the Uttarakhand Region was consolidated under the Garhwal Kingdom in the West and the Kumaon Kingdom in the East?
Answer: Medieval Period
5. When did the Rampur Tiraha firing case take place?
6. What is the Literal meaning of Devbhumi?
Answer: The Land of the Gods
7. Which College was renamed as IIT Roorkee?
Answer: Thomason College of Civil Engineering
8. Which Political Party used the term “Uttaranchal” when they led the Central and Uttar Pradesh State Government?
Answer: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
9. When was the Uttar Pradesh Reorganisation Act Signed?
Answer: 1 August 2000
10. Which President signed the Uttar Pradesh Reorganisation Act for a separate state of Uttaranchal from Uttar Pradesh?
Answer: Kocheril Raman Narayanan
11. What is the Color of the flag of the Kingdom of Kumaon?
Answer: Red and White
12. What is the Color of the flag of the Kingdom of Garhwal?
Answer: Green and White
13. When did the devastating “Himalayan Tsunami” occur in Uttarakhand?
Answer: June 2013
14. When did the Chipko Movement take place in Uttarakhand?
15. Why did the English Rock Band “The Beatles” travel to Rishikesh in 1968?
Answer: Transcendental Meditation
Geography Of Uttarakhand
1. What is the Area rank of Uttarakhand?
2. What is the Total Area of Uttarakhand?
Answer: 53,483 km2
3. Which Country is comparable with the size of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Bosnia and Herzegovina (51,129 km2)
4. What is the Summer Capital of Uttarakhand?
5. What is the Winter Capital of Uttarakhand?
6. Which Country is east of Uttarakhand?
7. Where is the Indian Military Academy situated?
8. Which Place in Uttarakhand is also known as Small Kashmir?
9. Where is Tiffin Top located in Uttarakhand?
10. Which is the Highest Mountain in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Nanda Devi (7,816 m)
11. Where is the Judicial Capital of Uttarakhand?
12. Which is the oldest National Park in India?
Answer: Corbett National Park
13. Which is the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks
14. Which is the Lowest Land Point in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Sharda Sagar Reservoir
15. Which Country does Uttarakhand share its border?
Answer: China and Nepal
16. How many Wildlife Sanctuaries are in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 7 (Seven)
17. Which place is known as the Yoga Capital of the World?
18. Which is the Largest Glacier in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Gangotri Glacier
19. Where does the Pindar River Join the Alaknanda River?
20. Name the Biosphere Reserve of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve
Government And Politics
1. Which Type of Legislature does Uttarakhand have?
2. When was Uttarakhand’s Legislative Assembly Founded?
Answer: 14 February 2002
3. How many seats are in Uttarakhand Vidhan Sabha?
4. When was the last election held in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 15 February 2017
5. Which party won the first Interim Assembly of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Bharatiya Janata Party
6. Which party won the 3rd Assembly of Uttarkhand?
Answer: Indian National Congress
7. How many Rajya Sabha Seats does Uttarkhand have?
Answer: 3 Seats
8. How many Lok Sabha Seats does Uttarkhand have?
Answer: 5 Seats
9. How many MLAs are in Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly?
Answer: 70 members
10. Which are the only Two Political Parties that have dominated Politics in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Indian National Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party
Chief Ministers And Governors
1. How many Chief Ministers have served Uttarakhand since its formation on 9 November 2000 till 2022?
Answer: 10 (Ten)
2. Who was the first Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Nityanand Swami
3. When was the first President’s Rule imposed in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 27 March 2016 – 21 April 2016 (25 days)
4. How many Total Days was President’s Rule imposed in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 44 Days
5. How many times did Harish Rawat serve as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: 3 Times
6. Who was the First Governor of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Surjit Singh Barnala
7. Who was elected as the Governor of Uttarakhand on 26 August 2018?
Answer: Baby Rani Maurya
8. Who is the 5th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Ramesh Pokhriyal
9. Which Political Party did Narayan Datt Tiwari belong to?
Answer: Indian National Congress
10. Who was elected as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand on 18 March 2017?
Answer: Trivendra Singh Rawat
11. When was the second President’s Rule imposed in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 22 April 2016 – 11 May 2016 (19 days)
12. Who is the 6th Governor of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Krishan Kant Paul
13. Who is the One Day Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Harish Rawat (21 April 2016 – 22 April 2016)
14. From which Constituency is Trivendra Singh Rawat elected?
15. Who is the first Woman Governor of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Margaret Alva
16. Who is the 9th Chief Minister of Uttarkhand?
Answer: Tirath Singh Rawat
17. Which Chief Minister of Uttarakhand was elected on 4th July 2021?
Answer: Pushkar Singh Dhami
18. Which Chief Minister of Uttarakhand served the office for one day?
Answer: Harish Rawat (21 April 2016-22 April 2016)
19. Who is the present Governor of Uttarakhand as of 2022?
Answer: Gurmit Singh (Since 15 September)
20. When did CM Pushkar Singh Dhami take oath for his second term as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: 23 March 2022
21. In which Assembly election Pushkar Singh Dhami was re-elected as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: 5th Assembly
List Of Chief Ministers Of Uttarakhand
|No.||Chief Minister||Term In||Term Out||Party|
|1||Nityanand Swami||09 Nov 2000||29 Oct 2001||BJP|
|2||Bhagat Singh Koshyari||30 Oct 2001||01 Mar 2002||BJP|
|3||Narayan Datt Tiwari|
|02 Mar 2002||02 Mar 2002||INC|
|4||Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri|
|07 Mar 2007||26 Jun 2009||BJP|
|27 Jun 2009||10 Sep 2011||BJP|
|Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri|
|11 Sep 2011||13 Mar 2012||BJP|
|13 Mar 2012||31 Jan 2014||INC|
|01 Feb 2014||27 Mar 2016||INC|
|~||President’s Rule||27 Mar 2016||21 Apr 2016||⟰|
|21 Apr 2016||22 Apr 2016||INC|
|~||President’s Rule||22 Apr 2016||11 May 2016||⟰|
|11 May 2016||18 Mar 2017||INC|
|8||Trivendra Singh Rawat|
|18 Mar 2017||10 Mar 2021||BJP|
|9||Tirath Singh Rawat||10 Mar 2021||04 Jul 2021||BJP|
|10||Pushkar Singh Dhami|
|04 July 2021||incumbent||BJP|
Cabinet Ministers Of Uttarakhand
|1||Pushkar Singh Dhami|
|1) Confidential (Council of Ministers)|
4) Personnel and Intelligence
5) Rural Development
6) Technical Education
8) Rural Works
9) Rural Roads and Drainage
10) Civil Aviation
12) Renewable Energy
14) Family Welfare
15) Disaster Management
17) Veterans Welfare
18) Paramilitary Welfare
19) External Aided Programmes
21) Civil Defence and Homeguards
22) Consolidation in Hills Villages
23) Industrial Development (Mining)
24) Khadi and Village Industries
25) Food and Civil Supplies
26) Food Processing
27) Information Technology
28) Science and Technology
30) Secretariat Administration
31) General Administration
33) State Estate
35) Medical Health and Medical Education
36) Micro, Small, and Medium Scale Enterprises
37) Personnel and All India Services Establishment
38) Vigilance, Good Governance, Corruption Eradication, and Public Services
|1) Public Works Department|
2) Panchayati Raj
3) Rural Development
5) Minor Irrigation
7) Watershed Management
8) India-Nepal River Projects
2) Trade Tax
3) Urban Development
|1) Agricultural Marketing|
2) Agricultural Processing
3) Agricultural Education
4) Plantation and Horticulture
5) Silk Development
|5||Dhan Singh Rawat|
|1) Primary Education|
2) Secondary Education
3) Cultural Education
5) Higher Education
6) Medical Health
7) Medical Education
3) Technical Education
|1) Women and Child Development|
3) Youth Welfare
4) Food Civil & Supplies
5) Consumer Affairs
|8||Chandan Ram Das|
|1) Social Welfare|
2) Minority Affairs
4) Small and Micro Medium Enterprises
5) Khadi and Village Industries
6) Student Welfare
|1) Animal Husbandry|
2) Milk Development
4) Sugarcane Development
5) Sugar Industry
7) Skill Development
Divisions, Districts, And Subdivisions
1. How many Divisions are in Uttarakhand?
2. Which are the Two Divisions of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Garhwal and Kumaon
3. How many Districts are in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 13 (Thirteen)
4. Which is the largest District of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Chamoli (8,030km2)
5. How many Districts are in Garhwal Division?
Answer: 7 (Seven)
6. In which District does the Confluence of Alaknanda and Mandakini River take place?
Answer: Rudraprayag District
7. Which District is Rajaji National Park located in?
Answer: Haridwar, Dehradun, and Pauri Garhwal
8. Haridwar District falls in which Division?
9. Bageshwar District falls in which Division?
10. Which Districts of Uttarakhand Borders Nepal?
Answer: Pithoragarh, Champawat, and Udham Singh Nagar
11. How many new districts were declared by then Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal on 15 August 2011 that is yet to be officially formed?
Answer: Four (Didihat, Kotdwar, Ranikhet, and Yamunotri)
12. Which is the most Populous District of Uttarakhand?
13. Which district of Uttarakhand has the highest literacy rate?
14. Where is the Headquarters of the Chamoli District?
15. Which is the Smallest District of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Champawat (1,781 km2)
Demography Of Uttarakhand
|Statistics as per the 2011 Census of India|
1. What is the name of the Native people of Uttarakhand?
2. According to the 2011 Census of India, Which Gender is more in number in Uttarakhand?
3. What is the percentage of the population living in rural areas?
4. What is the Rank of Uttarakhand as the most populous state of India?
5. What is the Density of Uttarakhand?
6. How many males were recorded in the 2011 Census of India?
7. How many females were recorded in the 2011 Census of India?
8. What is the GDP Per capita of 2018–19 in Uttarakhand?
9. What is the Gender Ratio of Uttarakhand in 2011?
Answer: 963 Females per 1000 Males
10. What is the Crude Birth Rate in Uttarakhand?
Economy Of Uttarakhand
1. How was the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) from FY2005 to FY2012?
2. How was the Per Capita Income in Uttarakhand in FY 2018–19?
Answer: Higher than the National Average
3. Which is the most significant sector of the Economy of Uttarakhand?
4. What is the main Cash Crop of Uttarakhand?
5. What is the Rank of Uttarakhand as the fastest-growing state in India?
Symbols Of Uttarakhand
1. What is the Emblem Of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Diamond Shield
2. What is the Motto Of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Satyameva Jayate (“Truth Alone Triumphs”)
3. What is the Anthem Of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Uttarakhand Devabhumi Matribhumi
4. When is Uttarakhand Day Celebrated?
Answer: 9 November 2000
5. What is the Official Language of Uttarakhand?
6. Which is the State Mammal of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Alpine Musk Deer
7. Which is the State Bird of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Himalayan Monal
8. Which is the State Butterfly of Uttarakhand?
Answer: West Himalayan Common Peacock
9. What is the State Flower of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Brahma Kamal
10. What is the State Sport of Uttarakhand?
11. What is the meaning of Devabhumi Matribhumi?
Answer: Land of the Gods, O Motherland
Rivers, Flora, And Fauna
1. Which are the two most important rivers in Hinduism that originate from the glaciers of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Ganges at Gangotri and Yamuna at Yamunotri
2. Which River passes through Rishikesh?
3. Where in Uttarakhand is Jim Corbett National Park located?
4. Where is the “Song River” located?
5. Which is the Highest Dam in India?
Answer: Tehri Dam
6. Which river is Tehri Dam located in?
Answer: Bhagirathi River
7. Which is the largest lake in the region of Kumaon?
Answer: Bhimtal Lake
8. Which River passes through the Valley of Flowers?
Answer: Pushpawati River
9. At Devprayag the Alaknanda River meets with which River and takes the name Ganga?
Answer: Bhagirathi River
10. Which are the Panch Prayag?
Answer: Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Nandaprayag, Vishnuprayag
Transportation Of Uttarakhand
1. What is the Full Form of UTC?
Answer: Uttarakhand Transport Corporation
2. What is the IATA of Jolly Grant Airport?
3. Which Division of Uttarakhand has 2 Airports?
4. What is the Distance of National Highways in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 1,328 km
5. Which is the nearest Railway Station from Nainital?
6. Which Zone is Roorkee Railway Station located in?
Answer: Northern Railway
7. What is the Distance of State Highways in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 1,543 km
8. When was Uttarakhand Transport Corporation founded?
Answer: 31 October 2003
9. What is the Vehicle registration Code of Uttarakhand?
10. What is the IATA of Pantnagar Airport?
Tourism And Heritage Sites
1. Where is the Valley of Flowers National Park?
2. Which School in Uttarakhand is on the tentative list for World Heritage Sites?
Answer: Oak Grove School
3. Which Pilgrimage places include in Chota Char Dham?
Answer: Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri, Yamunotri
4. What is the meaning of Haridwar?
Answer: Gateway to the God
5. How many National Parks are in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 6 National Parks
6. Which is the Largest National Park in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Gangotri National Park
7. How far is Jim Corbett National Park from Dehradun?
Answer: 163 km
8. When were the Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks were on the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves?
9. How many Interconnected Groups of freshwater lakes are in Sattal?
Answer: 7 (Seven)
10. Which river flows through Jim Corbett?
Answer: Ramganga River
Fairs And Festivals
1. Where is the Ramman festival held?
Answer: Saloor Dungra village
2. Where does the Kumbh Mela take place in Uttarakhand?
3. Which region in Uttarakhand celebrates the Kumauni Holi (कुमाँऊनी होली) which is a Historical and Cultural Celebration of the Hindu festival of Holi?
4. What is Ganga Dussehra also known as?
5. Which festival was hosted in Haridwar from 14 January 2010 to 28 April 2010?
Answer: Purna Kumbh Mela
Dances, Music, And Famous Personalities
1. Langvir Nritya and Pandav Nritya Dances belong to which Indian State?
2. Name some Folk Dances of Uttarakhand?
1) Barada Nati
8) Langvir Nritya
9) Pandav Nritya
3. Which famous folk singer from Kumaon is known for Nanda Devi Jagar & Rajula Malushahi Ballad?
Answer: Mohan Upreti
4. Which Song is fondly referred to as the Cultural Anthem of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Bedu Pako Baro Masa
5. Which Folk Artists of Uttarakhand titled his first album as “Burans”?
Answer: Narendra Singh Negi
6. Who was fondly called the “Bhishma Pitamaha of Uttarakhand folk music”?
Answer: Chander Singh Rahi
7. When did the famous Rock Band “The Beatles” come to Rishikesh?
Answer: February 1968
8. Where was Neha Kakkar born?
9. Who is India’s only individual Olympic Gold Medalist, who was born in Dehradun?
Answer: Abhinav Bindra
10. Where was Bachendri Pal born?
Ethnic Groups, Languages, Religions, And Cuisine
1. What is the Official Language of Uttarakhand?
2. Which State has the highest percentage of Brahmins?
3. Which Caste constitutes 2.89% of the population of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Scheduled Tribes
4. Which is the Second Official language of Uttarakhand?
5. Which Plant is locally called “Kuttu” in Uttarakhand?
6. Which 2 Indian States have Sanskrit as their Official Language?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand
7. Which is the Most popular Religion after Hinduism in Uttarakhand?
8. Which language is popularly Spoken in Uttarakhand other than Hindi?
Answer: Garhwali and Kumaoni
9. Name the Scheduled Tribes of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Jaunsari, Bhotiya, Tharu, Buksa, Raji, Jad and Banrawat
10. Which language is mostly spoken after Hindi in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Garhwali (23%)
Architecture And Crafts
1. How many Monuments of National Importance have been recognized by the Archaeological Survey of India in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 44 Monuments
2. Which District does Badrinath Group of Temples falls?
3. How many State Protected Monuments have been recognized by the Archaeological Survey of India in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 21 Monuments
4. Where is the Surya Temple?
5. Which State Protected Monument is in Bajinga?
Answer: Nanda Devi Group of Temples
6. Which State protected Monument is in Gopeshwar?
Answer: Vaitarni Group of Temples
7. Which Monument of National Importance is in Hanol?
Answer: Mahasu Devta Temple
8. Which District is the inscribed rock edicts of Ashoka located?
9. Which Bridge is located at Rishikesh?
Answer: Laxman Jhula and Ram Jhula
10. Which Bridge is larger between Laxman Jhula and Ram Jhula?
Answer: Ram Jhula
Education And Sports
1. Which IIT is in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
2. Name the International Cricket Stadium in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium
3. Where is IIM in Uttarakhand?
4. When was the Indian Military Academy established?
5. Which is the Central University of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University
6. When was Doon University established?
7. Where are the IFS Freshers trained in Uttarakhand?
Answer: Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration
8. When was the Forest Research Institute in Dehradun established?
9. What is the Full Form of CAU?
Answer: Cricket Association of Uttarakhand
10. What is the Full Form of USFA?
Answer: Uttarakhand State Football Association
Temples And Devotional Places
1. In Which District are the Jageshwar Temples located?
2. Which is the highest Shiva Temple in the world?
Answer: Tungnath Temple
3. Where is the Kartik Swami Temple situated?
Answer: Rudraprayag District
4. Where are the remains of the sixteen Adi Badri Group of Temples located?
Answer: Adi Badri
5. Which State Protected Monument of Uttarakhand is located in Paithani?
Answer: Shiv Temple
Awards And Recipients
1 What is the highest Civilian Award of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Uttarakhand Ratna
2. Which Indian actor of American descent was Awarded Padma Shri by the Government of India?
Answer: Thomas Beach Alter
3. Which Indian author of British descent was awarded the “Sahitya Academy Award” in 1992 for “Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra”?
Answer: Ruskin Bond
4. How many Persons were Awarded Padma Vibhushan from Uttarakhand?
Answer: 4 Persons
1) Binode Behari Mukherjee
2) Bhairab Datt Pande
3) Sunderlal Bahuguna
4) General Bipin Rawat
5. How many recipients received the Padma Vibhushan Award 2022 from Uttarakhand?
Answer: 1 (One)
6. Who is the recipient of the Padma Vibhushan Award 2022 from Uttarakhand?
Answer: General Bipin Rawat (Posthumous) (Civil Service)
7. How many recipients received the Padma Shri Award 2022 from Uttarakhand?
Answer: 3 (Three)
8. Who were the recipients of the Padma Shri Award 2022 from Uttarakhand?
1) Madhuri Barthwal (Art)
2) Basanti Devi (Social Work)
3) Vandana Kataria (Sports)
9. Who is the first recipient of the Padma Vibhushan Award from Uttarakhand?
Answer: Sunderlal Bahuguna (2009)
10. Who is the first recipient of the Padma Bhushan Award from Uttarakhand?
Answer: Mulk Raj Chopra (Civil Service) in 1967
11. Who is the first recipient of the Padma Shri Award from Uttarakhand?
Answer: Sukhdev Pande (Literature & Education) in 1956
GK Questions And Answers Of Uttarakhand
1. Where is Uttarakhand High Court located?
2. Who issued the Indian Forest Charter in 1855?
Answer: Lord Dalhousie
3. Which Director from Dehradun Directed the movie “Tiger Zinda Hai”?
Answer: Ali Abbas Zafar
4. Where is Lal Bahadur Shastri Academy situated?
5. Which Mountain Pass in Uttarakhand borders India and Tibet?
Answer: Mana Pass
6. Which lake in Uttarakhand is locally known as Mystery Lake?
7. What is the National River of India?
8. Which Districts are connected by the Lakshman Jhula bridge in Rishikesh?
Answer: Tehri Garhwal and Pauri Garhwal
9. What is the name of the Lake in Nainital?
Answer: Naini Lake
10. Who killed the Champawat Tiger?
Answer: Jim Corbett
11. Name the 6 National Parks in Uttarakhand?
1) Gangotri National Park
2) Govind Pashu Vihar National Park
3) Jim Corbett National Park
4) Nanda Devi National Park
5) Rajaji National Park
6) Valley of Flowers National Park
12. Who is the Third Chief Minister of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Narayan Datt Tiwari
13. Where is Sahasradhara falls in Uttarakhand?
14. Which States lie to the West of Uttarakhand?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh
15. What is the Power Generation capacity of the Koteshwar Dam located in Uttarakhand?
Answer: 400 MW
16. Which Pass connects Pithoragarh to Tibet?
Answer: Lipu-Lekh Pass
17. Does Uttarakhand have Lokayukta?